Title: Heart of Light
Author: T.K. Leigh
Release Date: August 25, 2014
Genre: Romantic Suspense
SynopsisRECOMMENDED FOR AGES EIGHTEEN AND UP DUE TO EXPLICIT SEXUAL SITUATIONS, STRONG LANGUAGE, AND GRAPHIC VIOLENCE.
Twelve years ago, Jolene’s adoptive mother died. Twelve years ago, a man showed up at Jolene’s door and promised to take care of her. Twelve years ago, Jolene was happy. Then it all changed… Jolene Bergio has spent the last twelve years of her life asking one question… Why? Why was she left in the custody of a man who would sell her each and every night to the highest bidder? After a few years, she shut off, giving up hope that anyone would ever find her. Until her luck changed one night and she escaped. Twelve years later, she finally feels something she hasn’t felt in a long time… Free. Scared that her past will find her unexpectedly, she hides away in a rented beach house, trying to distance herself from everyone… Until Dr. Cameron Bowen enters her world and slowly tears down the walls that she has built up over the past twelve years of her captivity. Jolene begins to learn to love again. And trust again. But when a man from Jolene’s past emerges, will she be able to keep her identity hidden? When lies are told and hearts are broken, will the truth surface in time to bring Jolene back from the shadows that threaten to expose who she really is? Heart of Light is a captivating story of love, strength, and survival.
Review by Jenny
5 Amazing Intense Stars
|AMAZING BOOK!! This book deserves more than 5 stars! This is the 1st book I've read of TK Leigh & won't be the last! This is a story of the awful realization of human trafficking & forced prostitution and the mental, physical & emotional struggles of life before & after such a life! The struggles of learning to trust & love after so much abuse! |
Jolene was born with a price tag over her head! Not knowing how & why she ended up in the hands of a monster, she finally escapes...more AMAZING BOOK!! This book deserves more than 5 stars! This is the 1st book I've read of TK Leigh & won't be the last! This is a story of the awful realization of human trafficking & forced prostitution and the mental, physical & emotional struggles of life before & after such a life! The struggles of learning to trust & love after so much abuse!
Jolene was born with a price tag over her head! Not knowing how & why she ended up in the hands of a monster, she finally escapes! She tries to start all over miles & miles away! She meets Cam who teaches her that it's ok to trust him & love! That everyone needs a light & they are each that to the other! I was captivated from beginning to end! By the end, my heart was racing! I couldn't breathe when the monsters found her again! My heart dropped with her page & gun fire! Can she truly escape her past & help others also? Will she find out the true about her parents & her past?
Really great book! I had no idea this stuff goes on in the US! Such a horrible subject but it's a subject that needed to be told! I can't wait for more from TK Leigh!
Excerpt“Why don’t you like being touched?” he asked quietly in a bold move. Jolene stopped dead in her tracks, glaring at him. “I just don’t, alright?” she hissed, her voice raised. “And it’s none of your fucking business why I act the way I do. I see what you’re trying to do, Doctor.” She spun around and stormed back toward the house, wanting to get far away from his prying, yet consoling, eyes. “What, Jolene? What am I doing? I just want to get to know you. I want to spend time with you, and I need to know why certain things set you off so that I don’t do them!” He ran along the shore, catching up to her, stopping short when he almost reached out and grabbed her arm to force her to talk to him. Feeling him approach behind her, she reeled around. The expression on her face was fierce. “You’ve been a therapist for far too long. You need to get it out of your head that you can help me.” The ocean wind whipped her hair in front of her face and her voice rose in anger. “You can’t! No one can! So just stop! Stop taking an interest in me! Stop with the whole nice guy act because, based on my experience, that’s all it is!” she cried through her tears, her voice becoming barely audible. “A fucking act.” She closed her eyes and inhaled deeply before opening them, the pain of what she had experienced the past decade of her life visible in the look of unease on her face. She took a step closer, her eyes remaining glued to Cam’s. “You show up on my doorstep acting like my savior when the world has gone to shit. You tell me how you’ll look after me and protect me. And you know what those are?” She could see the hurt that her words were causing him, but she didn’t care. “Lies, Cam,” she said quietly. “Just lies. You say you’ll help me and watch over me, but you’ll turn. I can’t… I can’t go through that again. Please. I beg you. Just stay away from me.” She spun around and began walking briskly away from him. “You don’t have to do this, Jolene!” he shouted, running to catch up with her. “You don’t have to choose fear.” “Yes, I do,” she insisted, turning to face him once more. “It’s the only way that he won’t…” “You can choose me instead,” he interrupted. Her breath caught at his unexpected reply. “Cam, I…” She trailed off, hiding her tear-filled eyes. “Don’t let your fear control you, Jolene,” he implored, his voice soft. He brought his body close to hers. “Please, choose me, not fear.”
About the Author
Twenty Fun Facts
1. I wear a shirt when I write that has Shakespeare’s face on it and says “This shit writes itself.”
2. I am a middle child. I have a sister that is two years older and a sister that is two years younger.
3. My favorite movie of all time is Casablanca.
5. I met my husband in the parking lot of a Jimmy Buffett concert. He was working. I was drinking.
6. My favorite beer is Blue Moon.
7. I love the Red Sox.
8. Every time I publish a new book, I drink champagne and watch Anchorman and Talladega Nights. It’s a tradition now.
9. When I was moving out to California from Connecticut after graduating law school, the hubs and I drove route 66 all the way from Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier. It was such an amazing experience, and I think there may be a book in it.
10. My pen name is a play on my real name. My full name is Tracy Leigh Kellam. I don’t think I need to spell out where T.K. Leigh came from. ;-)
11. I have a yellow jeep wrangler that I love. Her name is Savvy J.
12. In my opinion, there is no such thing as too much coffee. Or peanut butter.
13. I am a sushi addict.
14. I am deathly afraid of snakes. I can’t even watch a movie with them in it or I’ll flip out.
15. My favorite New Kid on the Block was Donnie. I’m glad I picked one that aged well.
16. I am a huge proponent of “Adopt, don’t shop.” We have a dog and 3 kittens, all of whom we have found on the streets and saved.
17. One of my favorite TV shows is Arrested Development.
18. My favorite book of all time is The Great Gatsby. What can I say. I’m a sucker for a story with no HEA.
19. I currently have 8 works in progress.
20. You will all be seeing Cam and Jolene again. ;-)
Purchase Her Other Books Today
$100 Amazon Gift Card, (10) Signed Paperback of Heart of Light